Research by Steven L. Brawley
Boula Boula "American Soup"
- 3 cups of frozen peas, cooked
- 1/4 cup of liquid from peas
- 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups of canned green turtle soup or beef bouillon
- 1 1/2 cups of dry sherry
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream, whipped
- Using an electric blender, puree peas with 1/4 cup of liquid from peas until very smooth.
- Heat puree in medium saucepan, add butter, salt and pepper. Stir until butter melts.
- Add green turtle soup and sherry, heat just to boiling point.
- Ladle soup into serving cups and top each with a little plain whipped cream.
- If desired, quickly place cups under the broiler to lightly brown the cream. Makes 6 servings.
John F. Kennedy & J. Edgar Hoover's Favorite Soup
- 1 can condensed pea soup
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 can milk
- 1 can water
- Dash of curry powder
- Combine all ingredients. Heat and serve. Makes 4 servings.
Boston Clam Chowder (JFK Favorite)
- 2 lb little neck clams in shells (or 1 cup shucked clams)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 oz salt pork or bacon, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 lb)
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 cup warm milk
- 3/4 cup warm whipping cream
- Under cold running water and using a clean nylon scrub pad or small brush, scrub clams to remove loose barnacles and dirt. Place clams in a large deep saucepan; add just enough water to cover. Bring to boil; boil for 5 minutes or until shells open. Strain through fine mesh sieve set over bowl, reserving broth. Remove clams from shells; chop flesh into 1⁄2 inch pieces. Reserve.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add salt pork; cook, stirring often, for 2 to 3 minutes or until just translucent. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until translucent but not brown.
- Add potatoes; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add reserve broth and bring to boil; boil for about 8 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender. Add clams, salt, and pepper; cook for 1 minute or until clams are heated through. Remove from heat; stir in milk and cream. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
Potato Soup with Sour Cream (Rene Verdon)
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups sour cream
- minced parsley
- Combine first 5 ingredients and cook together for 15 minutes.
- Add sour cream and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Serve hot, garnish with parsley.